The banoffee pie. It just has to be the ultimate crowd pleaser.
Even I’m a fan and I don’t even particularly like bananas. It’s also possibly the simplest dessert to make. No cooking required, just basic assembly!
250g digestive biscuits
75g unsalted butter
8 tbsp Nestle Carnation caramel
2 large bananas, sliced
300ml double cream
25g icing sugar
Few drops vanilla extract
Chocolate flakes or curls
8in/20cm round loose bottom flan tin
- To make the base, place the biscuits in a plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin to make fine crumbs. Melt the butter in a pan and stir into the crumbs.
- Press the mixture into a 8in 20cm round loose bottom flan tin and up the sides, pressing well with the back of a spoon. Chill the base for at least 20 minutes until firm.
- Spread the caramel over the biscuit base. Peel and slice the bananas and arrange them on top of the caramel.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Add the icing sugar and vanilla extract and spread over the bananas.
- Grate or finely chop some good quality chocolate to sprinkle over the top to garnish